Hello, and welcome to the next edition of My Travel Destination Guide. This week we are traveling to Maine.
A STANDS FOR AMAZING TRAVEL ADVENTURES
Maine is in the Northeastern region of the United States. Maine is a state known worldwide for its rocky coastline, fishing harbors, lighthouses and tall pine trees. I discovered that Maine is also known for Sunrises, Botanical Gardens, Puffins and Blueberries.
OCEANS, LIGHTHOUSES and SUNRISES
1. Thunder Hole is a small inlet that is naturally carved out of the rocks along Maine’s coastline. Waves from the ocean roll in and out as the tide changes. When a wave is large enough, it causes a deep thunder rumble that can be heard throughout Acadia National Park.
2. Nubble Lighthouse is located on the little island of York, off the southern coast of Maine. Built in 1879 the lighthouse is still used today. The lighthouse and its grounds are not open to the public. You can take a photo of it. It is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the world, and I can see why.
3. Cadillac Mountain Sunrise. Watching a sunrise has always been a great way to start any day. Cadillac Mountain is the first place in the continental United States to see the sunrise from October to early March. Cadillac Mountain is located on Desert Island within Acadia National Park.
GARDENS, CRUISES and PUFFINS
1. Maine Botanical Gardens are the largest botanical gardens in New England. There are several gardens to choose from to experience and explore. I recommend the Highlights Tour that is offered daily at 11:00 am everyday. My favorite is The Botany of Butterflies Tour offered at 2:00 pm every Thursday June 15 through October 25. For more information and updates visit their website at http://www.mainegardens.org.
2. Maine Windjammer Cruises offer a bit of maritime history with the best views to be seen of Maine’s coastline. The fleet was established in 1936 and is the oldest fleet of historic vessels. I highly recommend the 4 hour Lobster Lunch or Dinner Sail. You can lend the crew a hand with sailing the ship or sit back, relax and enjoy the view. For more information and updates (yes COVID I am talking about you) visit their website at http://www.mainewindjammercruises.com.
3. Atlantic Puffin Colonies. Puffins are in the Maine between the months of May through August each year. Maine coastline and Islands in the Atlantic Ocean are the only nesting sites for Atlantic Puffins in the United States. Book an excursion out to the islands to see these bright billed creatures. Puffins can be seen in the AM flying to and from their nest bringing food to their young. Book a 2 1/2 tour with Cap’n Fish’s Cruises to see these amazing creatures. For more information and updates visit their website at http://www.boothbayboattrips.com
ODDITIES and CURIOSITIES
1. LL Bean’s flagship store is located in Freeport, Maine. You can tell you are in the right place by the big boot in front of their headquarters. It is probably the most photographed boot in the world.
2. Blueberry picking. Maine is known for fields upon fields of wild blueberries found throughout the state. There are several spots that allow you to pick your own blueberries to take home, or to your hotel. For more information and updates for picking your own blueberries visit http://www.pickyourown.org
3. Stephen King tour of Bangor. It’s a 3 hour tour around Stephen King’s hometown of Bangor, aka “Derry”. The tour shows over 20 different places Stephen King has lived and wrote about. For more information and updates visit http://www.sk-tours.com
Thank you for joining my Amazing Travel Adventures in Maine. Today I shared more outside activities than I usually do. I was caught up in the crisp, beautiful scenery that is Maine. Some of my favorite indoor places to visit are The Portland Art Museum, The Portland Observatory and The Victoria Mansion. The inside places are equally as fun and sometime as breathtaking but I was just so thrilled by the beauty of the Maine Coastline and all that it had to offer I decided to share my outside favorites. Did your favorite Maine spot make my list? Do you refer indoor or outdoor activities? Share your favorites in the comments.
Next blog post we will be discovering the Best Food and Drinks that Maine has to offer. I hope yo see your there. Cheers!
Until Next Time,