Hello and welcome to this week’s Travel Destination Guide sharing Amazing Travel Adventures – Ohio. Follow me as I share a few of my favorite things Ohio style. There are amazing hiking trails in Logan, Ohio. An Underground Railroad Museum in Cincinnati, Ohio. A former lunatic asylum located at the University of Ohio. Plus so much more. Ohio is full of nature, history and fun. Let’s travel!
Caves and Hills and Parks – Ohio
1. Old Man’s Cave Waterfall. This bridge crosses the Upper Falls of Old Man’s Cave Waterfall. It’s a beautiful location and is one of the most photographed parts of the park. For more information visit their website at www.hockinghills.com or click here.
2. Hocking Hills State Park has 7 different hiking areas. I am listing them alphabetically. #1 Ash Cave. #2 Cantwell Cliffs. #3 Cedar Falls. #4 Conkle’s Hollow. #5 Old Man’s Cave. #6 Rock House. #7 Whispering Cave. Looking to spend the day and stay the night at the Park? Hocking Hills offers cabins, lodging and camp sites all year long. To make your reservation or learn more about the programs and events Hocking Hills State Park has to offer visit www.thehockinghills.org or click here.
3. Franklin Park Conservatory is located in Columbus, Ohio. The Conservatory’s website states it is a horticultural and educational institution. It is known for showcasing exotic plant collections, special exhibitions, and Dale Chihuly artworks. If you do not know who Dale Chihuly is, I suggest doing some research. You will be glad you did, his artwork is amazing. For more exhibition information or to purchase your tickets visit www.fpconservatory.org or click here.
Music and Railroads and Baseball – Ohio
1. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is located in Cleveland, Ohio. This museum and hall of fame showcases the history of rock music. It highlights the artists, engineers, producers and so many others. Everyone featured has helped make rock music what it is today. To learn more about the museum and hall of fame visit www.rockhall.com or click here.
2. National Underground Railroad Freedom Center is located in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Center opened its doors in 2004 and displays the history of the Underground Railroad. The Freedom Center also showcases human enslavement, human trafficking and other issues. The Center’s mission is helping to eradicate all forms of slavery. To learn more about the Center or to make a donation to an amazing cause visit www.freedomcenter.org or click here.
3. Great American BallPark is located in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Park is home base for the Cincinnati Reds baseball team. Within the Ballpark you can find the Reds Hall of Fame & Museum. The museum showcases the history of the baseball’s first professional franchise. It highlights the history with interactive exhibits, player appearances and much more. Ready too buy some peanuts, cracker jacks and watch a game? Visit www.mlb.com or click here.
Museums and Houses and Asylums – Ohio
1. American Sign Museum is located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Their website states it is the largest public museum dedicated to signs in the United States. The museum covers over 100 years of American history through signs. Bob’s Big Boy will always hold a special place in my heart. There was a Bob’s Big Boy restaurant across the street from my college campus. Many a late night were spent there studying with friends. To find out updated hours, current safety protocols and ticket prices visit www.americansignmuseum.org or click here.
2. A Christmas Story House is located in Cleveland, Ohio. Their website states the House is now restored to its movie splendor. It is open year round to the public for tours and overnight stays. If visiting Ralphie’s house if at the top of your must see list visit www.achristmasstoryhouse.com or click here to learn more. I triple dog dare you!
3. Athens Lunatic Asylum operated as a mental hospital in Ohio. It provided services to children, veterans and those declared mentally ill. It took care of patients from 1874 through 1993. The asylum has since been renovated as part of the Ridges project. It is currently a part of the Ohio University campus. It has been said that many patients that stayed at the asylum truly never left. To check updates for tours and other things that go bump in the night visit www.athenshistory.org or click here.
A Stands for Amazing Travel Adventures – Ohio
Thank you for traveling with me through my destination guide: Amazing Travel Adventures – Ohio. Whether you love wandering through gardens, learning the history of rock and roll or hunting down ghosts, Ohio has something for everyone. Did you favorite Ohio place to go or must see make my list? Please share in the comments if they didn’t make my list.
Looking for more Amazing Travel Adventures? Read my blog post A Stands for Amazing Travel Adventures – Michigan or click here. Discover Miner’s Castle, the Motown Museum, the World’s Largest Cherry Pie Pan and so much more.
Until Next Time,