Have you ever wondered what the A, B, C’s and 1,2,3’s of Arizona are? First, history, then fun. Arizona is a Southwestern United States State, best known for the Grand Canyon. It was admitted into the Union February, 1912 as the 48th state. Now let’s travel to our southwestern friend for the fun part, Amazing Drinks, Best Local Food and Conventions/Events to attend.
A is for Amazing Drinks. Did you know Lemonade is the official state drink of Arizona? It was signed into legislation by Governor Doug Ducey in 2019.
1. Combine 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup simple syrup, 2-3 cups cold water to taste. Add more water if you would like it to be diluted and remember ice will melt diluting the lemonade as well.
2. Refrigerate 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Serve with ice and sliced lemons.
One of the runner ups for Arizona State Drink, a very close race, is the Prickly Pear Margarita. Prickly Pear Cactus are found throughout the SouthWestern part of the United States and is the go-to drink for adults in Arizona.
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice; pour 2 ounces tequila, 2 ounces sweet and sour mix, 1 ounce triple sec, 1 ounce lime juice, and 1 ounce pear syrup over ice.
2. Cover shaker and shake ingredients. Pour salt into a small plate. Wet rim of a margarita glass and dip rim into salt.
3. Strain ingredients into prepared margarita glass. Drink like a local.
B is for Best Local Food. Did you know Apache Trout is the official State food of Arizona?
1. In a wide flat dish, combine 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs, 1 smashed clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano, pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, zest of 1 lemon and salt, to taste. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup Dijon mustard and the juice of 1 lemon. Brush both sides of the trout with mustard mixture. Coat the fish fillets on both sides with the seasoned bread crumbs.
2. Coat large skillet with 1/2 inch of extra-virgin olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the fish to the pan, cook and turn fish until brown and crispy on each side. Remove fish from the pan and place on paper towels to drain.
3. Place fish onto dinner plate and add lemon juice and salt to taste. Enjoy.
One of the runner ups for Arizona State Food is the Chimichanga, otherwise known as deep-fried burritos.
1. In a medium saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup uncooked long grain rice, 1/2 cup red enchilada sauce and 1 1/2 diced onion. Mix and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and let simmer until rice is tender. Heat 6 flour tortillas in a large skillet. Spoon equal amounts 4 cups diced cooked chicken breast, 1 pound shredded Monterey Jack cheese, diced onion, 1 can sliced black olives, rice mixture and 4 cups refried beans. Roll tortillas and heat oil in a large skillet to fry the filled tortillas turning frequently until brown on all sides. Drain each burrito on paper towels.
2. In a medium bowl combine 3 avocados, 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 diced green onions, 1/4 cup finely chopped Jalapeño chile peppers and 1 diced tomato. Mash together all ingredients.
3. Place chimichanga on plate and top with avocado mixture. Season to taste.
C is for Conventions/Events held in Arizona. These events are a great way to meet a variety of special guests including actors on screen, voice actors, extras, directors, authors and artists. Artists Alley and Cosplay Contests are where your creative light can shine.
1. Phoenix Fan Fusion 2020 will be hald at the Phoenix Convention Center September 25 – September 27, 2020.
2. Single Day Saturday tickets are $45. Full Event Memberships, for all 3 days, are $75.
3. Visit their website at http://www.phoenixfanfusion.com for more information and updates.
1. Mad Monster Party 2020 will be held at the Renaissance Phoenix Glendale Hotel & Spa October 9 – October 11, 2020.
2. Advanced Single Day Saturday tickets are 40. Advanced 3 Day tickets are $70.
3. Visit their website at http://www.madmonsterparty.com for more information and updates.
I often Wondered what to do in Arizona for vacation, staycation or even day trips. The Grand Canyon is beautiful, and a must see when visiting Arizona, but I never knew Arizona had so many fun things to do and try! Thank you for reading my blog post. If there are any other Arizona Drinks, Food or Conventions leave me a comment. I love learning. Traveling domestically might be back on track by Halloween, might have to start planning. If you are feeling inspired, below are travel ideas, food recipes, a last minute costume repair kit and clean up wipes for after all of the fun is done. Arizona, where summer spends its winter.
*This site contains affiliate links to products I recommend. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.