Have you ever wondered what the A, B, C’s and 1, 2, 3’s of Alaska are? First, history, then fun. Alaska, also known as The Last Frontier, is a state located in the Northwest extremity of the United State’s West Coast. It was admitted into the union January 3, 1959 as the 49th state. Now for the fun part, Amazing Drinks, Best Local Food and Conventions/Events.
A is for Amazing Drinks. Caffeine is my way to start the day and one of my favorite go to places is Kaladi Brothers Coffee. Kaladi Brothers Coffee started as an espresso cart in downtown Anchorage, on the corner of Fourth Avenue and F Street in front of the Alaska Visitor Information Center in 1984.
- Order one large vanilla latte, or any specialty drinks from their menu selection. I have often added one of their homemade pastries to my order. They are hard to resist.
- Wait for your order to be made and your name to be called.
- Enjoy that first sip of amazingness. It is a great way to start your day, or afternoon.
Another amazing drink comes from Alaska Distillery, an artisan distillery located in the foothills of the Alaska Range. Smoked Salmon Vodka is one of the spirits they produce, and I have heard the Smoked Salmon Vodka Bloody Mary is amazingness in a glass.
- Add 1 ounce Smoked Salman Vodka, 2 ounces tomato juice, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon horseradish, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 4 drops Tabasco sauce (give or take, I like my Bloody Mary’s spicy but not hot), and salt and pepper to taste into a large glass.
- Stir the ingredients with a spoon or mix the ingredients with a shaker. Add ice, or pour over ice. Garnish with a celery stalk.
- Sip and enjoy your Bloody Mary Alaskan heartiness and unique flavor. Cheers.
B is for Best Local Food. You really can’t think of Alaska without thinking of Salmon. My favorite type of salmon is smoked. I do not own a smoker but I am able to buy fresh salmon already smoked at the local farmer’s market where I live.
- Check off all items on your shopping list at the farmer’s market. Fresh baked bagels. Fresh smoked salmon. Fresh produce, lettuce and lemons. Lastly freshly made cream cheese. All fresh local ingredients.
- Toast bagel. Add lettuce, cream cheese, salmon and lemons to your liking. I am not giving amounts in ounces for this recipe.
- Enjoy the freshness and the flavor.
Alaska is also known for its wild berries. The berries grow throughout the region and many people make a day of it discovering this amazing fruit and picking some for their homemade recipes. Cloudberries are a golden berry and resemble mostly an apricot in color and taste. My favorite recipe for Cloudberries is Cloudberry Cobbler.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rinse and dry 20 tablespoons of cloudberries. Mix the cloudberries with 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Mix 10 teaspoons of oats with the remaining 4 tablespoons brown sugar, 10 teaspoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Add 7 tablespoons of butter and mix to form crumbs. Sprinkle over the cloudberries and bake for 20 – 25 minutes in a preheated oven or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly. Serve warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
C is for Conventions held in Alaska. These events are a great way to meet a variety of special guests including actors on screen and voice actors, extras, directors, authors and artists. Artists Alley and Cosplay Contests are where your creative light can shine.
- Senshi Con will be held this year at the Denáina Center in Anchorage Alaska September 25, 2020 – September 27, 2020.
- Single Day Ticket Saturday Pass is $45 and a General Admission Weekend Pass is $60.
- Visit their website at senshicon.org to learn more, view past convention photos and guests, and see if maybe their VIP package is the one for you.
- Arctic Comic Con has changed its event dates and will now take place October 31, 2020 – November 1, 2020 at the Denáina Center in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Single Day Ticket Sunday Pass is $25 and a Weekend Pass is $50.
- Visit their website at arcticcomiccon.com to learn more, view past convention photos and guests, and see if maybe their VIP package is the one for you.
Thank you for reading about The Last Frontier, Alaska. I enjoyed what I learned and experienced. It is now on my must go see once travel restrictions are lifted 100% in the United States. Have you visited Alaska? Share your adventures and photos with me! Below are travel guides, cookbooks and cosplay ideas if this blog inspired you to try a little Alaska. Thank you for your support.
*This site contains affiliate links to products I recommend. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this blog.