Have you ever wondered what the A, B, C’s and 1, 2, 3’s of Alabama are? First, history. Alabama, also known as the Heart of Dixie, is located in the southeastern part of the United States was admitted into the union on December 14, 1819. Okay, that was a long run on sentence but, I wanted to get through the history part as soon as possible. Now for the fun part, Best Drinks that might have Alcohol, Best Local Food and Conventions.
A is for amazing drinks. What speciality drink do you think of when you think of Alabama? I think of the Alabama Slammer of course! What is an Alabama Slammer? It is sweet deliciousness that combines Amaretto, Southern Comfort, Sloe Gin, and Lemon Juice.
1. Pour 3/4 ounce Southern Comfort, 3/4 ounce Amaretto and 3/4 ounce Sloe Gin into a mixing glass over cracked ice and stir.
2. Strain into a shot glass and add 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice.
3. Cover with your hand, slam on the table, and drink immediately
Prefer something with a little more kick? Conecuh Ridge Whiskey has been designated as the official State Spirit. This whiskey is produced and officially marketed as Clyde May’s Alabama Style Whiskey. Made with natural spring water from the southern Alabama region, and oven dried apples added to each whiskey barrel helped this once illegal moonshine receive its State Spirit designation.
1. Open a bottle of Clyde May’s Alabama Style Whiskey.
2. Put cube of ice into glass. Pour whiskey over ice into glass.
3. Swirl. Sip. Enjoy.
B is for Best local food and I am sensing a theme here. Two of my favorite fried foods can be found in Alabama. Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Catfish.
My recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes is:
1. Slice unpeeled green tomatoes and sprinkle with salt.
2. Dip green tomato slices in flour, egg, and then breadcrumbs.
3. Fry the green tomatoes in a skillet for 3-5 minutes on each side. Set the cooked tomatoes on paper towels to drain. Add a little Tabasco as needed for flavor, and enjoy.
My receipt for Fried Catfish is:
1. Soak catfish in milk or buttermilk then dip catfish into mixture of 3/4 cup cornmeal, 1/2 cup flour and spices mix – 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon celery seed.
2. Fry coated catfish in oil for about 2-4 minutes on each side.
3. Set the cooked filets on paper towels to drain. Serve at once with your favorite hot sauce and enjoy.
C is for Conventions in Alabama. I love all types of conventions but prefer SciFi the most so my list might be a bit biased. Conventions are a great way to meet a variety of guests including actors, extras, directors, authors, artists and voice actors. Artist Alley and Cosplay characters are where your creative light can shine.
1. Huntsville Comic & POP Culture Expo will be held at the Von Braun Center July 18 – 19, 2020.
2. Single Day – Saturday Adult Tickets are $30.00. Adult Weekend Passes are $50.00.
3. Visit their website at http://www.hsvexpo.com to learn more
1. Mobile Comic Con was cancelled this year due to the pandemic and their website states they are currently working with the venue at Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel in Downtown for possible dates to reschedule the convention.
2. This event usually takes place over Memorial Day Weekend.
3. Check out their website for updates at http://www.mobilecomiccon.org
Thank you for reading about Sweet Home Alabama. I enjoyed sharing what I have learned and experienced. If you have a different fried green tomatoes or fried catfish recipe please share, I am always looking for new recipes. Until we meet again,